Monday, January 14, 2013

Janice Wilson :: Adding Color to Paper Pieced Bears

Hi everyone!  Janice here with my first post as a returning PK alumni designer.  I am so HAPPY to be back, I can't even tell you!  I just wanted to share some tips with you about adding color to your paper pieced images.  I have a very short video if you would like to watch.
It just shows a comparison of a paper pieced bear with and without added color.  Even if you are not comfortable adding color you should at least flick the edges with distress ink.  Even that small step can really make a difference.  I used the new bear stamp from the January Stamp of the Month Club, PKSC-13.
Here is my completed card.  Notice that I added a pattern to the floor to create more dimension.
I made the bed by cutting 2white posts about 1/2 inch wide, one shorter than the other and punching (2) 1/2 inch circles.  The mattress was was cut from patterned paper as well as the pillow.  The pillow is approximately 1/2 inch by 1and 1/2 inch with 2 of the corners rounded.  The bed skirt is a piece of elasticized yellow gingham ribbon.

The bedroom wall decor was made using PK-158 Get Well Bear.  The image was stamped onto shrink plastic, colored with Prismacolor pencils, cut out, and heated with a heat gun to shrink it.  I drew the blanket for the sleepy bear and added some shadows on the wall from the bed to create depth.

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Hugs and smiles,
Janice

9 comments:

Saundra said...

This is amzing, Janice! I absolutely adore the scene you have created! ~Hugs, Saundra :)

GiGi said...

OH Janice! This is just adorable! I love the details in your card, especially the shrinky dink wall art! Awesome job!

Cindy Beland said...

GORGEOUS job Janice with your sweet little teddy bear!I LOVE all the great details that you added to you card,just BEAUTIFUL my friend!!!!:)

Cassandra said...

This is AWESOME Janice! I'm always saying with my crafting friends: the difference between a good project and a GREAT project are the details!!! This is the PERFECT example of that! Great job :)

Kim said...

so super adorable! love how you color the piecings. way more work than I've done!

Tanya~Studio 5380 said...

Janice I love this sweet card! You just created the perfect little bedtime scene - so sweet! Love your Copic tips also!

Unknown said...

Janice! You are just AMAZING! Brilliant video for those that need it and the end result is stunning! Love ya! xxx

Lisa said...

Janice what a great job, love the coloring. It actually looks like she is in a bedroom. Very clever. :)

sweetpeaemmalou said...

Amazing! So creative and cute! Love every detail!