Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Nikki Foraker :: Masking With Nikki

Hello! Nikki here with a photo tutorial on masking. The bright green paper is Post-It Craft Paper. It's sticky all over like a Post-It note. I stamped the haunted house from the September 2012 set and drew in a bigger hill with pencil. I used a circle die to cut out a circle that will become my moon. So I have now made two masks. I'm using patterned paper from the September Peachy Picks Kit
I used the Cloudy Day Background stamp to make a spooky sky. I inked it up with pumice stone distress ink and misted it with water in a mini mister to get a splotchy look. I think it adds to the spooky factor.
I removed the circle mask and added the "negative" mask. Now it's time to color the moon.
I inked the moon with distress inks in mustard seed, wild honey, and ripe persimmon. I blended the colors on with an ink blending tool and the blending foam pad. I then drew around the circle with a black marker to make it stand out from the background. Remove the mask and this is what we have...
Bam! A spooky moon! :) And now it's time to stamp some more...
I know this looks a little crazy, but it will turn out cool...I swear! I cut a longer sidewalk out of the "negative" mask so I could have a gray sidewalk. Inked over it with a black marker. And from there I did some trimming and some more stamping and here is the finished card...
Tada! What started off looking crazy came together. I stamped some bats from the Dress Me Ghost set. And the sentiment is from the September 2012 set. 
The patterned papers are from the September Peachy Picks Kit. The gray was just a little off from the ink I used, but no problem, I just inked right over it with distress ink for a perfect match. And here is another card I did using this same technique...
For this one I used a larger circle for the moon, but everything else is the same. I stamped the witch from the September 2012 on the moon I created by masking. 
The patterned papers on this one are also from the September Peachy Picks Kit.

I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial on masking! Have a Perfectly Peachy day!

Nikki

7 comments:

Lorie said...

WONDERFUL tutorial, Nikki! Both of your cards look amazing, and are off the spooky charts!! AWESOME!!

Glora said...

YOU ROCK! I love when you show us step by step how you come up with your awesome cards. Beautiful job on both of these. Hugs- Glora

Leanne said...

Oh MY FREAKING GOSH!!! I LOVE BOTH of these cards and yes I'm screaming from PURE delight!!! You are so CRAZY talented!! I love that background stamp and love using it but would have never in a million years thought to make it into a night time scene! I can not tell you enough how much I love these cards! I'll be staring at them for days!!! Thank you for sharing how you made them! I've got to try using that background stamp for night time!!! Hugs, Leanne

Lisa said...

Awesome cards Nikki. Love the masking technique. Both cards came out amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Blue Moon Creation said...

I just found this Peachy Page by chance! OMG! These cards are bootiful! I am going to have to try and make one! I'm still not sure what a "negative" mask is though? Thanks for giving me another design option! Love it!

Unknown said...

Fabulous

Cassandra said...

To use one of your words Miss Nikki ~ you are AMAZEBALLS!!!! :)